Friday, April 06, 2012

Crispy crunchy healthy

Well, I didn't make it to train last night.  I was in the office till 9:30pm.  And though today is Good Friday and we have the day off, I was at the office bright and early (though I brought stuff home and have been working, at the kitchen table, wearing shorts sitting in front of the open screen door... heaven.)

Of course, I'm hungry, but trying not to eat any of the snackies my husband keeps around-- chocolate chip cookies, jalapeno-queso potato chips, honeyed pecans.  DAMMIT!  So I'll maybe get up and make this fresh, crispy, flavorful salad instead. 

Cucumber-Carrot Asian Salad- serves 2, 59 calories each if you use sugar.
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar or splenda
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil (or sesame oil if you like the flavor- I do!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sliced carrot
  • 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
  • 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cucumber - halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced
  1. Whisk rice vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil, ginger, and salt together in a bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved into a smooth dressing.
  2. Toss carrot, green onion, bell pepper, and cucumber in the dressing to evenly coat.
  3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.

No comments: