Thursday, January 17, 2013

I trained.

It was cold.  I was two minutes late, according to the clock in the academy, so I was penalized 10 burpees.  My feet actually hurt, they were so cold.

BUT... I trained.

The warmup was short and sweet so I didn't hardly break a sweat.  Darren, the visiting instructor, started under Donald as a whitebelt and has absorbed soooo much of his delightful teaching style and technique, yet makes it his own.  So class, from a content and delivery perspective, was just wonderful... chock full of detail that makes sense, entertainingly explained and memorable... and I had a great drilling partner, a brownbelt guy I've been training with since I was a whitebelt.  And lots of people had big ol' grins and hugs for me.

The actual techniques?
  • Takedown: a snatch single-leg and how to defeat the standard counter
  • Cross side to NS to two armbars
  • NS, the pummel counter to a papercutter
  • NS, they counter your pummel counter, to a shoulderlock

I am so happy to be back.

I think I'm a sucker for positive reinforcement, and I got a little bit last night.  Makes me want more.

So I'm going back tonight.  Thanks, peeps, for the encouragement.  I'm sure I'll need it again and often. 


Can Sönmez said...

Brilliant! So pleased to hear you're back on the mats! Keep it up. :D

Anonymous said...

Congrats. For me it always feels like the first steps are the hardest