Sunday, October 04, 2009

Chocolate brown.

Ended up taking a friend's request for a chocolate brown gi to get me off my duff and re-dye that Keiko. (I dyed one of my Keikos peach and it was bad. Orangesicle bad.)

So here's his gi, before...



And mine...


His, during... it's pretty easy, just takes about 90 minutes from start to the "insert in washing machine and don't drip on carpet" stage. Fortunately this was another drip-free dyeing experience.


And his, after. The stitching and embroidery doesn't take the dye, as they used nylon thread.




And here's mine. The original pink trim and lettering looks pretty cool, I think. But there's some tiny red spots on the left chest-- I think the dye didn't fully dissolve in those spots. Dammit. Oh well.



5 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

What kind of dye did you use? I might want to try something like that. :)

Georgette said...

Hey! Welcome to BJJ by the way... looking forward to hearing more about your journey! I've posted a couple times on my blog about the gi-dyeing process, choosing a good gi, fitting for females etc. But the short answer is, I use Procion MX which is available at www.dharmatrading.com -- it chemically bonds with the cellulose in cotton, and is pretty good about not running on other fabrics, fading etc. I'd be happy to tell you more about the process via email. Post a comment with your address, I won't approve it so it stays private. Thanks!

Triin said...

I dyed mine china blue and my daughter's pink. Both came out really good and the color has not faded. Used a powder die from Jo Ann's.

Georgette said...

Triin-- hey, a Dallas BJJ chick and I don't know you from tourneys! Comment me your email (I won't make it public.)

blaynkman@yahoo.com said...

I am just checking out your blog, I think it was linked from NHB gear forum. I train at a Relson Gracie school here in AZ, and I am currently a purple belt. Very cool blog. Question: Do you dye gis for people at all? I really like your chocolate ones.

Blayne