Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Hot and humid!

Man, it's hot and humid out. Hello, it's past ten o'clock at night and it's 84! Blech. Maybe I will stay indoors tomorrow and make use of the AC instead of prancing around outside. Says it will rain tomorrow-- hope so.

Today was a challenge; did well in morning class for the most part, had some nice flowy rolls going, but noticed that a weakness of mine is that transition from mount to seated mount; instead of moving my front foot, I get it trapped underneath people. I tapped myself out doing that to the sore ankle one match and had to ice it a while before I jumped back in.

Crossfit at lunch-- ahhhh. Been a while since I attended because work's been crazy, and it felt great to get a "pure" workout in.

Had a block party to attend at home this evening, which combined with the sore ankle and still squidgy elbow made me skip the regular night class. Hobnobbed with the denizens of my 'hood (lol, what a juxtaposition.... it's clearly an upper middle class vocab-snob hood for me to use a word like denizen...) but then scooted back to the academy in time for Donald's comp team class. I hear the regular class was brutal, all side mount escapes and beating the underhook, but comp class wasn't exactly a walk in the park either. I'm getting a little hoppy with my seoi nages and when they're defended, they're not functional (though tonight's technique was a followup using your inside leg to reap/trip their ankle that I found eminently useable.) Drilled a choke/armbar/sweep attack series from guard which I am soooo frustrated with. Girl who ends up in guard all the time should be a terror attacking from there. I am more girl scout than terror. Sulk. Then we did guard pass defense, a guard pass, and putting the two together for a while. Nice.

Then I noticed that my partner Leila's white gi was looking.... greenish. Greenish in the places where my Chocolate Love gi was rubbing. My not-green, why-is-this-happening-when-my-gi-is-brown, chocolate gi. So... took her gi home, washing it now. Hoping I don't have to buy her another gi.

Speaking of which, I have the new Vulkan Pro Light freaking sweet lilac-colored gi on the way to me, in an A0. Expect a review soon. And I'm watching Stephan Kesting's latest instructional, "Grappling Concepts," as we speak, for review soon.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

> Girl who ends up in guard all the time should be a terror attacking from there.

I end up in guard a lot too, so I know exactly what you mean. I wish I better at attacks from that position. In fact, I just wish I had some offense... :)

> Speaking of which, I have the new Vulkan Pro Light freaking sweet lilac-colored gi on the way to me, in an A0. Expect a review soon.

I think lilac is a great color for a gi. There are so many gi colors I would try if I had more money spend on them. I'd think gray and brown would be cool, for example.

Georgette said...

You know I'm the gi-dyeing fool, right? I'd be happy to dye for you. Just did my friend John's in Clearwater-- nice chocolate-y color. Let me know :)