Late last night Donald got a wild hair to teach early this morning, so a lucky few of us gathered around at 6:30am. We were well-rewarded with judo, reverse kesa offense, and some review on basics from the bottom. :)
I'm off to open mat for lunch. Enjoy this summer dessert in the meantime.
Peach Beehives with Sauce
* 4 small ripe peaches, washed and dried
* 1 (9 inch) prepared, unbaked pie crust, thawed
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 pinch salt
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease the bottom of a shallow baking pan.
2. Unroll the prepared pie crust onto a lightly floured surface, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips. Place peach stem side down, and wrap strips of dough--over-lapping rows--around the fruit so it's completely covered. For ease, twirl the peach while holding the pastry in place and overlap rows. When completely wrapped, the peach will resemble a beehive. Make sure the entire peach is covered and sealed inside the crust. Repeat with remaining peaches. Arrange the wrapped peaches in a shallow baking pan.
3. Bake peaches in preheated oven until crust turns golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cream butter with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract, allspice, salt, and heavy cream until well blended. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar.
5. To serve, place baked peaches in serving bowls. Slice each peach in half and remove the pits. Spoon sauce over the peach halves.