Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stasis

According to wikipedia, stasis means (in part):

"A state of stability, in which all forces are equal and opposing, therefore they cancel each other out.  Stasis implies, especially in science-fiction, an artificial pause that stops all physical and chemical processes, including those of life; they resume as if uninterrupted as soon as the stasis is ended."

I'm in stasis.  It seems all the forces driving me forwards are countered by ones pushing in at least two other directions.  The closest I'm coming to any real movement is a tense vibrating wiggle of sorts, while experiencing some pretty intense internal pressure.


I'm taking a deep breath, focusing on the easy stuff (eat healthy food, get 8 hours of sleep, keep training, work hard, be kind) and trusting that putting one foot in front of the other, even if I feel like I'm walking in a circle, will eventually make progress.

But at least I keep training! :)  The bright spot in most days.  Working on anticipating where passers need to go, so I can get my hip there ahead of time.. working on making a decision tree covering all options for when I'm passing.. seeing the back more and making more use of it.

Had a nice open mat Friday night, lots of good rolls though I caught a knee or some other hard thing right on my cheekbone, which is still red and swollen like a cherry tomato.  Then my husband met me and a small group of people at the churrascaria near the academy to celebrate a friend's birthday.. then yesterday we all went out to watch UFC Fight Night.  Our teammate Yves Edwards was fighting in the undercard, and won Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night with his second-round RNC (ctfo!) of Cody McKenzie.  Woot!

I really want to work some guard stuff.  But more technically and precisely than rolling affords. 



1 comment:

Liam H Wandi said...

Very interesting. The things is, if you are in stasis onboard a ship sailing forward then you are moving forward too :)

I hope 2011 is treating well my friend.