One of the most gripping, horrifying, can't-stop-thinking-about-it movies I've ever seen is K-19. Before that, I'd seen The Day After in grade school. I was 7 when Three Mile Island melted down and almost 14 when Chernobyl happened (pictured below). And my mom was a radiology technician who made X-rays at a veteran's hospital. So growing up and as an adult, I've always heard about radiation and what it can do to you.
I did a google images search for "radiation poisoning" and be happy I'm not posting any of the pictures.
What's going down in Japan is scaring the living **** out of me.
Great primer on what's up with Japan's nuclear reactors here.
The guys over at Scramble Stuff have put together a very cool tshirt you can order now and all proceeds go to the Red Cross to aid the victims of the tsunami/earthquake in Japan.
The front has the characters for "endure" and the back characters say "pray."
I ordered mine.. and you can text to donate, too. I presume they're all $10 donations, but I'm not sure.
• American Red Cross Relief: text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10
• Salvation Army: text JAPAN to 80888
• Convoy of Hope: text TSUNAMI or SUNAMI to 50555
• World Relief Corp. of National Association of Evangelicals: text WAVE to 50555
• GlobalGiving: text JAPAN to 50555 to donate $10
• ADRA Relief: text SUPPORT to 85944
• GlobalGiving: text JAPAN to 50555
• International Medical Corps: text MED to 80888
• Mercy Corps: text MERCY to 25383
• Save the Children Federation: text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222
• World Vision: text 4JAPAN or 4TSUNAMI to 2022
And here's another list of ways you can help the survivors.