Monday, July 06, 2009

Back from the Fourth..

We had a fantastic time staying at the lake with friends Jeff and Laurie. They have a 42' boat with two cabins and a nicely set-up boat slip that's like a home away from home so we just hung out, read books, ate, played in the lake, and enjoyed the company. I'll post some pics soon. We also had a nice morning with family-- we'll be having our niece Sarah stay with us for a week in August and I'm looking forward to seeing Austin through the eyes of a smart, active, fun twelve year-old.

Alas as always I ate salty foods I shouldn't have been eating so I won't post my weight-- but I know it's water weight and will go away shortly. I'm determined to get back to my old routine of morning and night jits, and lunch crossfit daily. Work is definitely keeping me busy but I have plenty of things I can bring home with me at night; I'm just starting a new pleading and that always involves a fair bit of reading at the beginning.

Our crepe myrtle out front of the house is just COVERED with lavender blooms this year... it's a full two stories tall and really looks impressive. I'm convinced it's bloomed so lushly because we're watering twice a week. The roses in the backyard are doing better this year, I'm sure because they're not shaded out by the crazy tomatoes. I am thinking about changing one of the patches of lawn into a raised bed for vegetables because I have a craving for sweet summer corn, freshly picked. Did you know that when you pick corn, the sugars immediately start turning to starch? By the time you buy it in the grocery it's already stale! And cucumbers, peppers, watermelon, squash... mmmmm. Of course I'm thinking gardening thoughts because it's cloudy and "only" going to get up to the mid-high nineties today. If it were its usual sunny and 105ish, I'd only be thinking about the books I want to read indoors.

My best friend Heather had a healthy (BIG! 9 lbs 1 oz) baby boy last week and I can't wait to see pictures of him. His name is Owen and I know big sis Hannah is excited as can be. It was a lengthy labor topped off by a C-section so Heather is going to have to take it easy for a while.

Have a good day back in the routine!

No comments: