Monday, August 01, 2011

Big weekend!

Three fighters from our gym won their fights this weekend... Tim Kennedy beat Robbie Lawler in Strikeforce and Aaron Lanfranco and Daniel Jolly won their fights locally. Wooo!

I had a great time watching Miesha Tate's win over Marloes Coenen for the Strikeforce 135lb championship. Very technical match, and I liked the pillowchoke finish.

New blog (for me) out there-- Sam from Belgium just arrived in Rio and is living there for 5 months! Ahh living the life I'd love... anyway check out his blog, Mat Rat...

Saturday's class was excellent-- we did it Giberson style (though he's on vacation) which meant lots of positional sparring with different partners, plus lots of calisthenics and conditioning. We worked triangle defenses and 2 different triangle setups for the technique portion of class, and then open mat. I was plenty pooped after 2 hours and happy to have an excuse to leave an hour early.

Went home, cleaned up and went with hubby to our friends' baby shower. I ate two pieces of cake :( basically wiped out any benefit of the jiu jitsu class! Dammit! But it was great to see Yoli and her belly :)

Sunday, I was on my way to jiu jitsu.. I stopped at a light at a very big, busy intersection (the eastbound frontage of Hwy 71 and Lamar, for you locals) and I saw something odd on the curb. I had to jump out of my car, because it was a tiny baby bird! Stuck in the middle of a concrete ocean, in the blazing sun (even at 10am it was hot hot hot!) Poor little thing. I pulled all the kleenex out of a box in the backseat and shushed him into it, took him to the academy, and started making phone calls. Christy gave him drops of water with a straw and he peeped mightily out of a humpy-looking beak, convincing us that he was a baby vulture. Wildlife Rescue said they'd be open till 4pm, so I rolled with Christy for about an hour before heading there. Turns out he's a baby pigeon, not a vulture, but he has a safe home now and the folks at the Rescue will feed him up and set him free when he can fly.

For a snack after jiu jitsu, I made some sweet potato chips in the oven-- tossed the sliced potatoes in a bag with a teaspoon of olive oil, laid them on a cookie-cooling rack set on a baking sheet, and sprinkled each with a little taco seasoning, then 13 min at 425 degrees. YUM! Then we went to Alamo Drafthouse to watch Cowboys v. Aliens (great visuals, lame story, great casting except I just couldn't buy Olivia Wilde in her role..) where I ate the best pizza I've ever had in my life... thin crust, a little marinara, with red onion, bacon, roma tomatoes, spinach, garlic, mozzarella, and goat cheese.

Today I have open mat after crossfit, plus more myofascial massage (which has done wonderfully at getting my hamstring flexibility back.) Plus other errands, all after work. Dinner tonight, vegetarian due to hubby's gout attacks... roasted corn, squash and onions, with whole wheat spaghetti, fresh basil, parmesan and walnuts.

Recipe o' day: Fluffy biscuits.

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening (cold)
1/4 cup butter (cold) (or you can do just 1/2 cup butter instead and no shortening)
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

Directions

In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (6-8 pulses). Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Scoop dough with ice cream or cookie dough scoop. Place on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.


Side note: I'm so behind on reviews, I'm going to spend my Monday nights at home doing work to catch up on them. I might also use Wednesday nights for the same thing. I received a Lucky gi this weekend... the new bamboo material intrigued me. I'm not impressed so far-- the fabric feels AWESOME!!!! but it's HUGE for an A1, and the quality of the manufacture... well, that's all the teaser you get. I've taken photos and measurements and will shrink it (I hope!) and start wearing it soon. My Predator gi is working out wonderfully, so I'll be reviewing that soon. I think I'll review some DVDs and BJJ Style magazine first though so I get plenty of wear data on the gis.


And if you haven't seen this FLYING SUPLEX yet.... thanks to Liam at the Part Time Grappler, you can now...



p.s. Lunch open mat was great, but I stubbed the &*^#%$! out of my big toe :(

No comments: