Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Today, tonight.

Went to lunch class. Got a little frustrated. Ready for class again in an hour or so.

Been listening to Roy Dean's new output... not an instructional, but music! Arc and Shadow, it's called, and so far it seems like... well, different from what I would ordinarily listen to but similar to what lots of the guys at my academy put on to roll to. Professor Dean says "[t]hese cinematic, instrumental songs match the rhythms of Judo, Aikido, Brazilian and Japanese Jujutsu." I'm only a couple songs into the first of four CDs so I will post further on that when I have gotten through it all. I can't help but be curious about some of them though- with names like Triangle, Aikido, Thelonius, and Camarillo... You can buy the collection here.

Donald's competition class tonight. It's good that lunch wasn't so arduous today, or I'd be pooped for tonight.

I want to make this spicy shrimp saute soon. It serves four and is very healthy. If you don't like rice noodles, try this with quinoa or brown rice (though you'll have to cook that separately and add when you would add the noodles.)

* 1 pound tail-on peeled and deveined medium shrimp
* 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
* 2 (1/4-inch-thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
* 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 ounces uncooked rice sticks
* 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
* Lime wedges

Remove shrimp tails; set aside. Combine shrimp tails (NOTE-- not the shrimp themselves!) broth, 1 cup water, and ginger in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.

Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, yellow onion, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add reserved broth; bring to a simmer. Add shrimp, peas, chili garlic sauce, salt, and noodles; cook 5 minutes or until noodles are done. Ladle into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

Calories: 236

2 comments:

Liam H Wandi said...

Roy is just a fountain of inspriation isn't he?!

I love your recipe. I don't usually use olive oil with rice noodles but it sounds lovely! I will try that asap.

slideyfoot said...

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear more about his musical background. Like I said in my mini review, my favourite was the Second Sound album: been listening to lots of Roy Dean recently. :)