Thursday, July 26, 2012

Stay hydrated!

We have a new blackbelt at our academy.  Not exactly true-- he's been a blackbelt over seventeen years! but he's new to us.  Paulo Brandao "Coelho" just came here from Manaus and he was teaching at his academy there for years.  He finished second to Royler in several of the big World Championships and we're honored to have him here for a few months (and maybe for good).

Here's Terere v. Paulo Coelho at the 2001 Mundials-- he loses on points but that's impressive against Terere!



Classes have been physically grueling for me lately.  It's the heat and humidity, for sure.  We'll do an hour or two of technique (depending what day of the week it is) and then sometimes an hour to 90 minutes of sparring afterwards.  Because classes are at night, we tend to shut the big garage doors to keep the mosquitoes out, and when I leave at 10:30pm, it's a shock to discover how much cooler it is outdoors.  I have no problems keeping up during technique, but sometimes, in the fourth or fifth 5-minute round of the night, I find being on the bad side of mount to be so restful, it's hard to motivate to escape.  (Until they start choking me, that is.)

I usually just bring a 32-ounce water jug to class and refill it at the cooler.  Normally I'm not big on water, it's too plain, but during and after one of our classes, I don't care if it's even cold, I'm just in love with water.

At other times though, I'd rather drink lemonade (with splenda) or club soda (I love fizz).  I don't usually care for fruit juice (it's just sugar water) and I'm dairy free, so there goes milk. Try this Watermelon-Basil Water for a change!  Watermelon is very healthy-- more lycopene than tomatoes, and it's rich in vitamin C and minerals like magnesium and potassium.



1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 cup boiling water
4 cups cubed seedless watermelon (1 lb.)
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
 
Put the basil leaves and sugar in a small pot and crush the leaves with a wooden spoon. Pour in the boiling water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to steep and cool for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a blender, purée the watermelon with 2 cups cold water. Strain the watermelon liquid and basil liquid through a fine strainer into a large bowl; discard the solids. Pour the liquid into a large pitcher. Add the lime juice and 2 cups cold water; stir to combine. Serve over ice.

No comments: