Thursday, February 07, 2013

Training in Las Vegas again...

I'm very proud that I made it through our Tuesday "Training" which is usually the hardest one of the week... I didn't stop, I didn't quit.  I tried to play butterfly (failed utterly to even get people off the ground, so no opportunity to transition to X) and I tried to do the Barry Sanders pass Keebler taught me (most of the time people just snagged me with their damn long legs, but it did work twice.. hooray!)  And at the end of class I made it through the five minutes of hell without stopping too.

(Five minutes of hell is Keebler's thing, but maybe we'll keep doing it because it is truly painful.  One solid minute of whatever, followed by another solid minute of whatever... and so on.) Tuesday night it was hold a low squat with both arms held out straight and horizontal in front of you, opening and closing your grips as fast as possible... then V-sits, extending and contracting your legs as fast as possible... then pushups with one arm close and one arm out far in front, alternating... then holding a plank.... then burpees.  I think.  I might be mixing up the previous Tuesday with this one.. but you get the picture.

But yesterday I flew to Vegas to be with hubby's family and celebrate his uncle's 86th birthday.  Uncle has spent some time in the hospital lately with congestive heart failure, pneumonia and diabetes, so he's not doing well at all and we're worried.  So it's not what you would picture when I say "a trip to Vegas."  I brought work from work and I will also get to train while I'm here, which is awesome.  Where I go will depend on the day's events with family.  Today, I will head over to Drysdale's gym for an hour of drilling from 9-10am.  I know a couple people there, but they're the instructors (Aaron, Sonny, Rene) so I hope I will see a familiar face wearing a blue belt, or at least find someone who is interested in using me as a drilling partner.  When asked, I am going to be drilling the butterfly into X guard transition, and the passes from Keebler.

I'm just happy there's a class I can take at a time I can make it.  I brought my superlight Kauai Kimonos gi and I'm happy to get on the mats.

have a good one people! :)

3 comments:

Blair said...

We call that five minutes of hell "The Suicide Circle". People usually scoff at bodyweight-only exercise, but in those five minutes you'll learn a lot about yourself.

My academy and Darren's share a friendly rivalry, with Darren usually showing up a few times a month or so by surprise to take the class. I read a few posts back where you say his personality and enthusiasm is 50 times his size. Thats the most apt description of that speedy little bastard I've heard in awhile.

Georgette said...

Thanks Blair! Where do you train? I'm envious, I wish we had Darren couple times a month (even though I adore Paulo and worship Donald.)

BTW your website is hysterical....

Blair said...

We're a Pedro Sauer affiliate in North Ridgeville, OH, which is a suburb of Cleveland. Powers' Martial Arts Academy.

Ooops, thats meant to be set to private. Thats a template I'm putting together for my wife's Real Estate site...