Sunday, April 07, 2013

Tearing my hair out.

The title refers not to frustration over my grappling, for once, but to the extraordinary amount of hair I lose every time I spar.  And not just the hair that actually gets torn out and stays on the mat, but also the hair which is torn out and stuck in with the rest of my hair until I get in the shower.  I'd guesstimate minimum 100 strands per day.  And there's no way I'm growing it back that fast. 

Thus, I will almost certainly be bald in another two years of this and yet I cannot stop training.  I can't even slow down, once daily is an annoyance (I'd rather go back to 3 a days) and don't begin to hint about that stupid wrestling headgear with the nylon slicker over the top.

Aside from the hair snatching... today training went well.  I tried to disconnect myself from the internal soundtrack that always sounds like "Look, he's a whitebelt, you should be owning him.  You're not even renting at this rate."  I just focused on the technique of the moment and was happy with most of my outcomes.

6 comments:

slideyfoot said...

It's really good to see that the old enthusiasm I remember from a couple of years ago seems to very much be back in your posts about training. :D

Anonymous said...

The chicies w/ long hair Iknow that grapple alot wear either a swim cap or a little house on the prarie 'bonnett'. They have them custom made w/ the school logos and stuff on them.

Just a thought....

I know your pain, my beard gets yanked on a LOT!

http://blackbeltquest.wordpress.com/

Zecarlo said...

At least yours will grow back....

Kintanon said...

You know I rock seriously long hair, I end up keeping mine coiled into a bun on the back of my head. I still lose some, but not tons.

mayiara said...

Good grief, how can you find the time to BJJ 3x a *day*, work and have a life?!!

Keith said...

I don't know if this would work for you, but...

Have you ever considered a swim cap and then water polo bonnet? It sounds a little crazy as I type it out, but I bet it would work.

Honestly, I don't think anything you decide to do is going to be a positive fashion statement, but I would give the polo cap a whirl, even without the rubber swim cap underneath.