Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bullshido welcomes a new board member...

And that new board member is me!

If you aren't familiar with Bullshido, you should correct that and quick.  Bullshido.net is, among other things, the Consumer Reports for martial arts academies.  Hit up the Martial Arts BS, Fraud, Investigations and Skepticism forum (often abbreviated as MABS) to check out schools and instructors you or your loved ones are attending.  Check out the guidelines which shape our investigations.  Bullshido also has lots of other forums for discussion on traditional martial arts, divided by discipline, as well as BJJ, MMA, and off-topic topics like politics and the like.  And then there's Bullshido.org which is the Martial Arts Encyclopedia with articles on techniques, arts, weapons and so on.

I've been a member/participant on Bullshido for about five years-- in fact, Bullshido sponsored me some entry fees and a patch when I was a whitebelt-- and I have contributed to investigations on two martial arts frauds here in Austin.  (Larry Sanders, here and here, and Richard Guerra.  I hope these links go directly to the investigation reports, but my work firewall blocks my access to forums :\ )  As the daughter of a World War II Air Force veteran, I find false claims of military service and prowess to be exceptionally offensive, and those tend to be some of the easiest fakeries to defrock.  But Bullshido also exposes fraudulent claims to training, rank and expertise.  In fact, one thing Bullshido encourages is alive training and alive testing of claims to ability.  That helps weed out someone like this guy, who teaches fighting with the invisible force.



For giggles, here's more of the same guy:



Is there a storefront martial arts academy where the instructor claims he can't actually DO the techniques on you because he'd kill you?  Mention it on MABS and help us determine the truth of their claims.

Stay tuned here and on Bullshido because I'm keen on a future project we've planned....

3 comments:

Naztdawg said...

That lying down, shaking technique is how I escape side control.

slideyfoot said...

Cool! It's long been one of my favourite websites, ever since I started lurking around 2002 and then finally joined in 2004 (despite the confusing join date on my profile ;D).

Incidentally, I also credit Bullshido with encouraging me into BJJ in the first place. If it hadn't been for some people on there to give me that final push in 2006, I'm not sure when I would have eventually got on the mats. :)

Shark Girl said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading about your new adventure.