Monday, April 30, 2012

Fish tacos for the fourth....

Before I get into my recipe babble... check out this guy Matt's mindmaps of instructionals... Seems cool!

 Here's what I made for our fourth anniversary-- a healthy/no-guilt recipe that's fast, inexpensive, and satisfying.

Serves two but easy to multiply to feed more...

4 frozen tilapia filets, thawed
1 tsp olive oil
fajita seasoning
cayenne pepper
1 avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced thinly inside the skin
mango pico de gallo (or regular, and you can add some chopped red onion, mango, and/or pineapple)
broccoli slaw (in lieu of shredded cabbage-- it's healthier and tastes the same!)
low-carb tortillas
1 lime, sliced into eighths
shredded queso fresco or queso blanco, optional

Arrange a buffet-style serving line with the pico, broccoli slaw, sliced avocado, cheese, and lime slices.

Heat olive oil in medium nonstick pan over medium heat.  Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of your fish with fajita seasoning and cayenne to taste.  (I prefer mine without the cayenne but my husband likes it spicy.)  Cook fish about 2-3 min each side until just done (fish will be opaque white throughout.)  Remove to serving bowl and coarsely chop into 2-3" pieces with the side of your fork.

Heat a few tortillas on a towel-covered plate in the microwave, 30-45 seconds, to make them warm and flexible.

I kind of cobbled the recipe together based on flawed memories of other recipes I've read elsewhere-- I know one used a corn-based salsa instead of the mango pico.

This is one of my favorite recipes when I'm trying to maintain or cut weight, because Tex-Mex is a big craving of mine.  But this one lets you get all the crunch, the savory flavor, the creamy avocado, and the tangy lime without all the fat.  I'm full on two tacos.

And for dessert-- guard playing and guard passing, from Xande and Galvao, semifinals, Abu Dhabi Pro 2012.  Watch from about 2:40 on.



Enjoy :)


No comments: