Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More wet sloppy weather... more happy happy armbars.

First:

....HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND... ABUNDANT TROPICAL MOISTURE AND AN OVERRUNNING PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR HEAVY RAINFALL OVER THE WEEKEND. SOUTHWEST WINDS ALOFT WILL TRANSPORT MOISTURE FROM A DEVELOPING TROPICAL DISTURBANCE OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC TONIGHT THROUGH THIS WEEKEND. A COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO SETTLE OVER SOUTH TEXAS EARLY FRIDAY...PROVIDING A FOCUS FOR SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THIS WEEKEND. RAIN CHANCES ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE RAPIDLY BY SATURDAY MORNING...WITH THE HIGHEST POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THIS TYPE OF HEAVY RAINFALL PATTERN WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED TOTALS OVER 10 INCHES. THOSE WITH WEEKEND PLANS SHOULD MONITOR THE WEATHER CLOSELY...AND PLAN AHEAD FOR POTENTIAL FLASH FLOODING.

Yay! As you know I've been missing fall-y weather, so this is great news for me. I'm hoping for another wet weekend full of my favorite things. It makes training more pleasant, makes it fun to stay indoors and curl up with a book (or one of the instructionals I need to review) and generally puts me in a frisky mood. I guess I'm the opposite of bears-- warmer weather makes me hibernate, cooler weather puts me in an entirely different place. Frankly at the moment I'm craving some camping, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon since I don't own a tent. Would be helpful.

Training today was great fun. This morning I managed two armbars and a choke from the back- hop hop hop- and then at lunch I at least survived some peeps bigger and heavier than me, and tapped one once (big smile). I was happy to provide a whitebelt "his first tapout of a blue belt"... and then his second, and his third. (#1 was a triangle into a mounted triangle, I became unbalanced during the choke-counter... the other two-- an early tap due to my squidgy elbow, and an armbar from mount.) I was happy to see someone else so happy, it reminds me of me!

And I can't remember against whom, but I have twice now almost triangled people bigger and stronger than me. Granted, I am completely sure my technique needs serious work... but the fact that I reacted properly to their "please triangle me" activity, worked against their resistance, adjusted as much as possible in the right ways, and only lost the one because I just couldn't hold him down; the other wasn't going to work, so I converted to a triangle-armbar and got the tap anyway.

We interrupt this self-back-patting session to gripe that Kimbo is talking about himself in the THIRD PERSON on TUF and is mispronouncing "enemy." Puh-leeze. And while I don't like Rashad calling him "a big black buck" I do agree he has a greasy looking beard. WTF-- he says he can't even spell jiu jitsu but he wants to learn it, not the pretty way... arrghhhh.... I hope Roy wins! And so far looks good-- he gave up mount to get side control, is kneeling on Kimbo's near arm, and beating his head in. Nice. Oh, repeat of that in round two, and the fight is called. Seriously? Instead of war, Roy Nelson brings a tea party with lace mitts... but Kimbo takes it like a little girl so I guess he deserves to lose.

Returning to the previous program:

In the kids' kajukenbo class tonight they worked on breakfalls and some judo techniques. I LOVE THESE KIDS! I should have taken some pictures. It's like herding cats, or jumping frogs, and they make me smile till I feel like my face will split.

Going to sleep now to the peeping of the frogs, the chirping of the crickets, and the pickpickpick noise of some other night beastie.

No comments: