Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Some things to work on...

First, flexibility. Wanna do this? You'll never get electric-chaired again, Jonathan :)



Found on Alliance Atlanta's post on PNF stretching. PNF stretching after you work out is the way to go, from what I have read and seen. I will add, as Dev pointed out, that PNF stretching can be dangerous, too, so it's not for the uninitiated or those working without guidance. I'm lucky, I train in a "regular" gym with sports med people all around, and I have a great academy with doctors, physical therapists, personal trainers and massage therapists too, so I'm always being watched.



Second... from Liam's blog The Parttime Grappler... some really stellar advice. He has lots of other pieces of the puzzle in his original post, but these three are key for me and the last one? When I fail it's here.

# Always ensure you are in the best possible position before launching your submission.
# Always ensure your opponent is in the worst possible position before launching your submission.
# When mid-submission you sense your positional dominance slip away, abort the submission and work on regaining your superior position.

5 comments:

slideyfoot said...

That looks like she is just about to put something on her heel then let go, so she can fling a projectile really hard into someone's face. Human catapult!

Dev said...

Chica,

PNF stretching is a very effective tool, but it's also higher risk than normal *slow* stretching. It's possible to take it too far and pull something. I don't look at is as simply a willy-nilly "this works for everyone" kind of thing, it's more of a target technique, if that makes sense.

Georgette said...

Dev, you're totally right. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have personal trainers and orthopedists and so on all around me (not that I pay them in anything but cookies and nana bread!) ...

Maybe I should preface my post with a disclaimer! :)

Lynntropy said...

I'll be sure to hire my full-time stretching partner right after I hire my live-in nutritionist. ;-}

Seriously, I think this is the type of stretching that Dara Torres has sworn is the secret to keeping her in shape.

eh hem

jonathan m. said...

I don't think I could ever reach that kind of flexibility haha.