Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Today's adventures in wonderland...

Fun class this morning, focused on a few sweeps, then the pseudo-pillow series, then the leg lock series (added on a kneebar and/or banana split at the end) ... then I showed the tidbit about americanas from the new purple... unfortunately during open mat I was completely owned by Doug, the instructor, and then got crucifixed by Ely. My neck is still sore. Don't roll out of a crucifix!

Then at lunch, crazy round robins. Had to go several times against a brand new first day spazmo (nice guy though) who was TAUNTED "C'mon, she's just a girl, you can't lose to a girl!" And when in my guard he tried to armbar me, I told him "you need to pass my guard before you can attack me" he was instead encouraged to "choke her from right there, keep her from talking." Fortunately he had zero base, so I reversed him and did my best to armbar him. Nice guy, just needs to chill and not listen to the fool(s) who were egging him on. (And I should have given him/them a piece of my mind, but I've little enough to spare these days.) I had a good time armbarring a newer guy (and then showing him why and how it happened, and how to defend) and then reverse armbarred him... and I just loved the look on his face, like whole new worlds opening up.

Got to help out in kids' kajukenbo again this evening.. then picked up my car from the mechanic's, ate at the Noodle House, and came home. It's lovely cool rainy weather again, hooray. Perfect snuggling weather.

4 comments:

clinzy said...

Whoever was egging that guy on needs a punch in the nose. That is the attitude that makes guys forget/not care that women are smaller and weaker than they are, and we get hurt. Every time I hear someone say, "Come on...don't let a girl do that to you", I say, "A BLUE BELT can do that to you". It's disrespectful, and I hope you do tell those guys that you didn't appreciate it. Hmmph.

Georgette said...

After speaking to the individual in question (who is eminently worthy of respect, hence my shock and surprise at their conduct) I learned that they intended it to energize ME, as I was perceived to be lacking in aggression and/or explosiveness.

Further conversation will be had, and reported.

A.D. McClish said...

Wow, that would have gotten on my nerves. I've had to grapple with several brand new guys and pride is always an issue. They don't want to get owned by a girl, so they go crazy.

leslie said...

Seems everyone's having trouble figuring out how to motivate the girls right now, huh?

If I heard that in class, I'd be slowing down even more -- no sudden movements! -- because I'd be anticipating that my partner would go nutso. Hmmph, indeed.